IF YOU SMELL GAS, IMMEDIATE ACTION IS NECESSARY
- Turn off the gas supply and extinguish all naked flame. (The on/off switch can be found next to the gas meter – if one is installed).
- DO NOT light any matches or switch any lights/sockets on or off.
- Open all windows and doors.
- Evacuate the building.
- Telephone Jersey Gas on 755555.
- Note: Where carbon monoxide monitors are fitted, tenants should test these on a weekly basis by pushing the test button. Batteries should not be removed or electrical supplies disconnected from the detectors. It is the tenants’ responsibility to change the battery when needed.
Care should always be taken with electrical equipment and fittings. Problems such as flickering lights and overheating sockets should be reported without delay. However, most accidents can be avoided by taking simple precautions.
- Switch off appliances and remove plugs from sockets when not in use.
- DO NOT have too many items plugged into one socket.
- Make sure plugs are wired correctly and have the correct fuse.
- DO NOT join two pieces of flex or cable. Replace with a longer piece of flex instead.
- NEVER take mains electric appliances, such as hairdryers, into the bathroom.
- DO NOT run cables under carpets.
- NEVER touch electrical sockets or appliances with wet hands.
- DO NOT store items in the same cupboard as either electric or gas meters.
- Chargers, such as for mobile phones and iPads, should be unplugged once the device is charged; they should not be left plugged in overnight; they should never be covered up when in use; they should not be used if they or their lead is damaged. Avoid cheap chargers, they can be dangerous.
IF THERE IS A FIRE IN YOUR HOME YOU MUST:
- Leave the room immediately. DO NOT try to put out the fire unless you are sure you can do so quickly and safely.
- Evacuate everyone in the building, closing all doors behind you. DO NOT USE THE LIFTS.
- Once out of the building, call the Fire Service on 112 or 999. Use your mobile phone or a neighbour’s phone.
- NEVER go back into your home until a Fire Officer tells you that it is safe to do so.
The following precautions will help reduce the risk of fire:
- NEVER leave a chip pan, frying pan or saucepan unattended on the cooker. If a pan or its contents should catch fire, turn off the heat and cover with a damp (not wet) cloth. Leave to cool for at least half an hour. NEVER throw water on burning fat or oil.
- DO NOT hang washing or clothes over or close to fires, heaters or cookers.
- ALWAYS use a fireguard.
- Keep matches and lighters away from children.
- NEVER smoke in bed and empty ashtrays last thing at night checking first that all smoking materials are fully extinguished.
- DO NOT store flammable liquids in your home.
- Clean dust and fluff from heaters/ventilation grills regularly using a brush or vacuum cleaner.
- Test smoke detectors weekly and replace batteries where necessary.
- The area around the hot water cylinder should be kept clear. Store linen and other items only on the shelves.
It is strictly forbidden to do the following in Jersey Homes Trust properties:
- Use BBQs (gas, electric or solid fuel) on balconies, on patios under balconies or communal external areas.
- Block fire exits with any items.
- Note: “Have a Plan” - Everyone living in your home (including children) should be familiar with all the escape routes from the premises should a fire break out.
Do not store any hazardous substances or items in the storerooms.
- Note: If you are unsure whether an item can be safely stored please contact our Managers.
All Jersey Homes Trust properties are fitted with a smoke detector which can give an extra few minutes of warning should a fire occur. If there is a false alarm, ventilate the room until the alarm stops. Test the detector regularly (once a week is recommended) by pressing the test button until the alarm sounds. If the alarm does not sound, replace the battery (if it is a battery-powered type). If the alarm ever starts to ‘beep’ regularly, replace the battery as soon as possible.
- Note: Tenants are responsible for replacing the battery in smoke alarms.
If the smoke detector fitted in your home is powered by mains electricity and it malfunctions, contact our Managers.
Many interior doors are fitted with automatic door closers. These are usually found inside the door and door frame linked by a small chain by which an open door is drawn back to close. These door closers help to prevent the spread of fire and smoke in the event of a fire. The removal of these devices could pose a serious risk to life and may affect your insurance cover. If you remove them you will be charged for their replacement.
It is useful to know where your stopcock is situated. If you don’t know, locate it now in case of future emergency.
To stop pipes freezing in cold weather, maintain a low heat throughout your home. If you should have a burst pipe, do the following:
- Turn off the water at the stopcock (usually under the kitchen sink).
- Turn on all the taps to drain the water system.
- Contact our Managers or a 24-hour plumber if out of hours.
Condensation is NOT damp! Condensation is typically a winter problem. Better insulation, new forms of double-glazing and draught proofing on doors all minimise draughts and stop heat escaping from your home. But they also reduce water vapour escaping, which can increase the risk of condensation. It is usually worse in winter when the building is cold and windows are opened less meaning that moist air cannot escape.
If it is allowed to continue to build up over a period of time in your home you will begin to see examples of damage caused to walls, fabrics, floors and ceilings. Unless checked, an unsightly black mould will form and the smell of damp will also be present making a property an unhealthy place to live in.
You can do a lot to prevent condensation from building up in the first place.
Produce less moisture
- Put lids on saucepans while you are cooking to reduce steam.
- Avoid drying laundry on a clothes airer or radiator. If you need to dry clothes indoors, open the window and close the door of the room where the clothes are drying, so that moisture can escape outside rather than circulate around your home.
- If you use a tumble drier, make sure it is properly vented to an open window or through an outside wall.
- Stop moisture spreading through your home
- While cooking, showering, bathing or washing, use an extractor fan and/or open a window, and keep the door closed. Keep the extractor fan on and/or the window open for about 20 minutes after you have finished (with the door closed).
- Clean all extractor fans regularly to prevent a build-up of dust, oil and grease.
- Wipe baths and showers after use.
Provide even heating
- Keep your home warm to avoid cold surfaces, and remember that it can take a long time for a building to warm up.
- If your home is unoccupied during the day, make sure the heating timer is set so that your home is warm by the time you return home. During very cold weather it is better to leave the heating on during the day to maintain an even temperature. The temperature can be set a few degrees lower while you are out and turned up when you return.
- If you don’t usually use all of the rooms in your home, you should still keep them heated to avoid cold areas. It is better to keep all rooms heated to a low temperature than to have some rooms heated to a high temperature while others have the heating turned off.
- Finally, if any mould does appear, wipe it away immediately with a bleach solution.